Perfect pumpkin soup
Get all warm and cosy when the nights are drawing in with this hearty pumpkin soup.
50g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 onions, cut into wedges
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large potato, sliced
1 litre water
2 or 3 cubes chicken stock, crumbled
250ml double cream
1 1/4 tablespoons ground nutmeg, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7.
- Place pumpkin, carrots and onions in a baking dish or roasting tin. Drizzle with vegetable oil.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes, until soft but not blackened.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and crumbled stock cubes to the boil. Cook potato in simmering water until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Combine potato and water with roasted vegetables and puree in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth. Return to pan over low heat and stir in cream, nutmeg, pepper and salt. Heat gently; serve.